The Camp Tuckahoe conference was this weekend. Shawn and I ended up driving by ourselves. We left around 5:20 on Friday. Bill came home early so I could leave and get to Camp Tuckahoe at a reasonable hour. It's a 3 hour drive and started at 7:30. Before we left, I got the kids ready for Trick-or Treating. I swear, when I was young, we had a set time that


haunted house and/or to the bon fire. Unfortunately, I did not get haunted house. We went to the bon fire, Shanwa, Thom and I stood around for a little while talking.
were more people than beds, luckily, at the last minute they were able to get a second cabin. They split the cabins into locations. For the most part, with a few exceptions, if you were from the area you got to stay in the Castle and if you lived more than 2 hours away, you were in Maple. All the boys stayed in the Fort. There were some girls who were very upset. Why? The Castle, was heated with toilets, showers and running water. Maple, on the other hand, had a fire stove as the heater and a well in the front yard. Bathrooms were a 10 minute walk. I think it should've been decided upon when you registered. I didn't care either way, I had no expectations to begin with.
The zip line was awesome! I want one in my back yard! I'll admit, I went off the ledge like it was my first time off a diving board. I sat down and eased myself off... he said not to jump off and I couldn't figure out how to walk off without jumping. Ok... ok... ok... no excuses! I didn't do it like a big girl! When I went, I twisted around backwards, then twisted forward and again went backwards. I came into the landing backwards, but turned my camera around to see everyone. Now I can check off another one of my goals in life... going on a zip line. I stayed on the other side as a catcher for longer than I had to because I wanted to take pictures of people coming across. Yeah, you're supposed to be preparing to stop the person but I was taking pictures and at the last second helping catch. It was awesome hearing their experience as soon as they hit land again.
Trick-or-Treating started. Here, you just go when you want to. When I got home from picking the kids up from school, at 4 o'clock, there were people already coming to our door! I thought it was ridiculous. Maybe things just changed since I was young. Anyways, Josh went to a friend's and Emma came here. They looked really cute! Ethan was a Pirate, Gab was some character, I'm not sure who, and Emma was also a pirate. Josh was a Transformer but I don't have any pictures of him.
Shawna and I pack way too much! I don't think I pack too much, but it always seems like I have a ton of stuff. I just had two bags! One for my blankets and pillow, the other for my clothes and towels. I had three pairs of shoes, none of which were practical, three coats and a lunch box. Not bad, right? Some how, my entire back seat was filled. Shawna didn't have that much either. Hey, I'd rath
er be prepared!
So, after loading up, we were on our way!! We drove through Hershey, PA and rolled down our windows, several times, to see if we could smell the town. The entire town smells like chocolate, but from the highway you can't smell it. My sister would not be proud, we stopped at a rest stop on a 3 hour trip. Hey, if you gotta go, you gotta go! We got to the camp around 8:30 and I was really excited. Shawna, on the other hand, was not thrilled to be there. Yeah, I hate dances but I knew what was to come! We checked in and were given our cabin, Maple. At the time, I said I wanted to be in the Castle, not knowing that girls were actually staying there... what girl wouldn't want to be in the castle? The dance ended a little after 11 and then you could go inside the haunted house and/or to the bon fire. Unfortunately, I did not get to go in the
We decided to find where our cabin was. Thom went to a hotel, Shawna and I went driving to find where we would stay. We had a map, we already know how great my navigational skills are! We went the wrong way, but the drive was worth it! The roads were one lane gravel paths. They were very bumpy and twisty. It was pitch black out and no signs! We eventually made the decision that we were going the wrong way. I went back to the mess hall and decided to go the opposite direction. This time, we found it!
When we walked into the cabin, there was a heated discussion taking place. Since, there
The next morning, I got up a little before 7. Breakfast was at 8:30 and everyone was asleep. I decided to go to the Castle and take a shower. After I was finished, there was still extra time, so I went walking to take pictures of the area. It was very beautiful, I love PA!! We ate breakfast and waited for the speaker at 10. Brother Brewer talked about faith and the founding fathers of our nation and of the church. He told amazing stories that had everyone crying. Side note, I'm not sure why, but when I cry, just a little, it only comes out of my right eye. Brother Brewer finished a little after 11 and lunch was at noon. Chad, Shawna and I decided to go play frisbee to fill the gap between the two. It started with three of us and ended up with probably 20 people in a huge circle and three frisbees. Good times.
Lunch was served and afterwards at 1 o'clock you could go canoeing or on the zip line. There was a 2 o'clock zip line group also. We went on the zip line at 1 which was a good decision. We met in front of the mess hall to take the walk up to the zip line. When we got to our destination, we had to put our harnesses on. For some reason, I came off as being rather ditzy this weekend. Sometimes it wasn't my fault but if I tried to explain, it just made it worse. My harness was not my friend.
First off, harnesses are not a good look for me! I was the last
one to get mine on and then it still wouldn't stay on right. Now the helmets, I looked great in yellow, they're going to be a new fashion statement! Just watch!
After we "harnessed up", we walked to the zip line. It's 400' across a valley and the highest point is 75' off the ground. I wanted to go first but Chad pushed his way ahead. Then, he decided that he didn't want to go first. What?! Instead, Nate went first. He went across with his arms and legs spread out! Then, it was my turn! Ok, I don't mind heights but I HATE ladders! Climbing the ladder and standing on the 2' x 2' platform while the guy fixed my harness, yet again, was the scariest part!
Chad really wanted to play frisbee, so after I made my hike down the valley, across a stream and back up to the other side, I put the harness on another girl and left. Shawna, Chad and I went back down to the mess hall. Chad decided to eat and by the time he was finished more people had come back. It was around 4 and we decided to leave. A group of us went to eat at Cracker Barrel. We left there around 6 and should've been home around 9. Instead, I decided I wanted Dairy Queen because there are not any Dairy Queens around where I live. We got off an exit and the DQ was closed. We looked up Ice Cream on the GPS and decided to get off another exit for ice cream. Unfortunately, the next place I didn't like the directions the GPS gave, so I just kept driving. The next ice cream place was shut down! Then we drove to another location, this one took us to a house in a residential neighborhood. We decided to just get back on the highway. There was a sign for McDonalds, a McFlurry was fine by me. We got off the highway, expecting the McDs to be right there but had to drive a while into a city. I think I should've realized that I just didn't need to eat it! By the time we were back on our way home we had wasted an hour! We were really hyper after the sugar and had fun the rest of the way home! I'm glad I got to go on the trip! It was a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment