Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fast and Testimony

Since it's the first Sunday of the month, my favorite Sunday, it's fast and testimony. I think, I explained in a previous blog about what it is and why we do it. If not, just ask. Anyways, every testimony meeting I sit there nervous because I want to go up and give my testimony but I stay glued to my seat. Also, I think about all the different parts of my testimony. 
Today, I was nervous, again, and wanting to go up to the pulpit. I sit in the second to last row, before the walkway, directly in the middle. On the left side of me there were 4 people and on the right there was only 1. I should've gone then... but I didn't. Then, Khola sat on my right and eventually the other guy's wife and son sat down. So, now I have 4 people on either side of me. Even more reason to sit and not not move! Well, Oliver, on my left, went up and now it was better because there were only 3 to go past! He came back, while I continued to sit. Then, Brittany, who was beside Oliver, went up. Another chance! I continued to sit.
 Brittany did say something that really struck me. She said something along the lines of, "Nothing significant, in the past couple of weeks, has happened to give me a story to share." She then continued on with her testimony. The thought that went through my head was, the past three years have been amazing for me. One of the most significant things of my life happened at this time 3 years ago. The missionaries called Courtney (thankfully she called them back) and we began sitting outside, in the freezing cold, snowy weather to listen to missionary discussions. Never would I have thought, that because Courtney wanted me to join her, against my will, outside, in the bitter cold, with two Mormon missionaries, that it would be such a wonderful blessing in my life.
The first time I went to church was a fast and testimony meeting. Jon (Elder Hoy) informed me that I may find it a little strange. I figured I would, but he didn't explain. As I sat in church, three years ago, I remember thinking various negative thoughts. I noticed everyone cried and found it awkward. I thought, they were trying to convince themselves that "this is the true church" because, like Elder Stanley, a lot of the members would inform the congregation that they know that this is the true church.  
One member really stuck out to me, he talked about how big of a blessing the church is and how he couldn't imagine how someone could move (houses) without being a member because of the help that he received from church members and how quickly things got done. Another time, that same man, talked about smashing his thumb and being thankful to have a blessing and it healing fast. At the time, I thought who makes such a big deal of smashing their thumb and having nice people to help you move. Now, being a member, I understand where people were coming from and why they got up there to talk about the small and large blessings that they have in their lives and what they know to be true. 
Since coming to realize that the church is true, I'm so thankful to have the blessing in my life that other people had/have. I might have found the blessings they talked about to be strange, but I now understand why they were thankful and have the testimonies that they had/have. 
Brittany finished her testimony and once again I was in the middle of 8 people. Ali was the next person and started off with, "Around this time, 5 years ago, I became a member." I missed the rest of her testimony because I got up and scooted past 4 people to sit in the front row waiting to give my testimony. When I went up, my entire body was shaking. Even though I was beyond nervous, I did it because I know how much other testimonies mean to me and wanted to share what I know to be true. 

No comments: