Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Flu shots, Chuck E. Cheese and the Jitter Bug!

Today was a fun day!  I will say it now... I am a dork!  Anywho, the kids were off today and had to get flu shots.  I wasn't too sure how smooth that would go, so I just didn't inform them.  Gab knew because she read the calendar and asked about it.  Josh asked why they had to go to the doctor, I just said, "I don't know, a check up." We got to the doctor's at 9 and the receptionist asked, "Are you getting a flu shot or just the kids?" Josh turned to me and said, "You said we were just coming for a check up!"  They were going to find out sooner or later.  Gab was the brave one to go first.  She didn't wince or anything, then again I couldn't see her face.  The other two were not easy at all!! Josh refused to go.  Ethan sat on my lap and I bear hugged him and she stuck the needle in but he squirmed and it came out.  So, I also put my legs around him but he still knocked the needle out!  Joshua in the mean time ran out the door. The nurse got Ellen and the boys were still not having it.  Josh promised he would go if I got mine done, so I did.  He's not a good promiser!  Exactly how many people does it take to give a 6 year old a flu shot?  5!  Ellen went and got two helpers.  Ok, she said she was going to get a strong guy.  I did not expect a 6'7" man!! He was HUGE!  A lady came in also, she was probably 5'8".  I felt beyond short!  Ellen ended up holding Ethan and the third try worked.  Joshua, on the other hand, was behind the doctors office bed thing.  The man pulled the bed out, Ellen went on one side, I went on the other and we lifted him to the bed. She held part of him, I had his arm, one of the nurses had his legs and the tall man also had his legs. At least it only took one time for the nurse to give him the shot!  Of course, he was screaming and crying for a while afterwards.  We ended up walking around her office and then looking at pictures from a nurses trip to Africa.  They got lollipops in the van.  
At noon, we went to Chuck E. Cheese.  We ordered pizza and ate first.  Then, three hours of games!  Ethan's favorite thing there is the snow mobile.  Gab loves the skeet ball, because you get tickets.  She finishes her coins way before the boys do, I try to pace her.  Joshua just loves everything.  He bounces from one thing to the next.  They played tag in the tubes for a short time and tried to cheat by asking me where the other ones were.  Of course, I didn't tell them! All in all, it was a fun time.  
It was a little after 3 when we left and I didn't want to take them home yet.  Instead, we went to the playground.  That wasted a little bit of time.  Trying to do the monkey bars, balancing on the ropes, playing tag and swinging in the tire swing.  We decided to go home because they still had to have snack, shower and eat dinner before 6.  
On the ride home, I had the idea dance with them.  We watched, "Dancing with the Stars", in the morning and figured it would be fun to have our own competition.  Gab and Ethan went upstairs, so, Josh and I watched "Dancing with the Stars" to get some moves!  He was scared.  I just swung him around and flipped him for a little while.  Then, we called Ethan and Gab downstairs to watch our "routine".  Next, it was Gabs turn.  We actually came up with a routine and performed it for the boys.  Josh got a piece of paper and was our judge.  Let me tell you, he was tough on us!! Ethan gave us a 6 and Josh gave us a 5.  I guess we need some practice!  
I'm not sure what we'll do tomorrow, Gab wants to go to Manmouth Museum.  We'll see what happens. Good night!

No comments: